ALCOHOL SERVER TRAINING & CLASSES
On-Premise server training is for servers who serve alcoholic beverages in restaurants, bars, banquets, public venues, event permits, etc.
Every individual who is employed to sell or furnish alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, and those who manage or supervise the service of alcoholic beverages must:
- Complete and pass an approved Alcohol Server Training every three years
- Complete the training prior to beginning work
The Utah Division of Substance Abuse is responsible for evaluating and approving seminar programs taught by private trainers. These trainers:
- Schedule their own classes
- Have their own enrollment policies
- Set their own fees
To take a class, you must deal directly with one of these state approved providers. Make certain you take the on-premise training. You may also call the Division of Substance Abuse at 801-538-3939 to request a current list of approved providers.
E.A.S.Y. or OFF-PREMISE
The E.A.S.Y. or Off-Premise training is for those businesses that sell sealed beer to go, such as grocery stores, convenience stores, etc.
The E.A.S.Y. Law requires mandatory training for each store employee that sells beer or directly supervises the sale of beer. Training is required prior to beginning work and at least every three years thereafter. Stores may hire a trainer to train staff in person, purchase a training package to train their own staff, create and submit their own training for approval, or an individual may take online training.
Please note that DABS does not offer this training or provide training packages. Instead, contact DHS at (801) 538-4171 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
There are two types of required training for managers: On-Premises Retail or Off-Premises Beer.
If you completed the following training before Feb. 1, 2023, please print your certificate using the DHHS portal. If you completed the following training after Feb. 1, 2023, you can print your certificate via the Training Sign Up page below.
ON-PREMISE RETAIL MANAGERS TRAINING
A "manager" includes owners and employees who act in a supervisory or managerial capacity over the furnishing of an alcoholic product.
- Every manager currently working in a DABS retail-licensed business must complete a required manager training class within 30 days of hire.
- New applicants for a DABS license and their managers will be required to have the training as a condition of obtaining a license.
- NOTE: Applicants who were approved conditionally by the commission may wait to complete the manager training until they are ready to open.
OFF-PREMISE BEER MANAGERS TRAINING
The same requirements apply for off-premise beer licensees, except:
- The training applies only to individuals who manage operations of the licensee.
- Remember to sign up for the correct off-premise manager training class.
Manager training classes are administered as an online course. For instructions on how to sign up for a class, please visit our Training Sign-Up page.
& PRINT A CERTIFICATE
& PRINT A CERTIFICATE
There is a web-based registry for the people who have been certified to serve alcohol in Utah. It is maintained by the Division of Substance Abuse and called the Alcohol Server Training System. You can use it to search for the name of a certified server. You may also use the system to verify the term of a server's certification and when it expires. You may also download and print a certificate.